- Council on Foundations — www.cof.org
A nonprofit membership association that provides organizations with services and support to help them meet their philanthropy goals. The Global Philanthropy Program provides information for international grantmakers as does the Council's list of resources on global philanthropy.
TechSoup for Foundations — http://www.techsoup.org/foundations
Reduce your 501(c)(3) foundation's technology costs by more than 90 percent with donated tech from TechSoup. Free up resources for mission-critical programming and get the most out of technology. Learn more about donated tech for your foundation and grantees.
The International Center for Not-for-Profit Law (ICNL) — www.icnl.org
A source for information on the legal environment for civil society and public participation, serving civil society leaders, government officials, and the donor community in over 100 countries.
Reports, Studies, and Publications
- International Grantmaking Update: A Snapshot of U.S. Foundation Trends (PDF)
Foundation Center, in cooperation with the Council on Foundations, December 2010
This study provides a brief update on key trends and the current outlook for international giving. It includes estimates of overall giving and international giving through 2010, and an analysis of international giving trends from 2008 to 2010.
- The Global Role of U.S. Foundations (PDF)
Foundation Center, 2010
This report describes the attributes of foundations that allow them to play a significant role in addressing global challenges, examines representative foundation strategies in five key global issue areas, and suggests new global challenges facing foundations today.”
- "Equivalency or Expenditure Responsibility: A Guide in Plain English" (PDF)
Betsy Buchalter Adler and Stephanie L. Petit, 2005
This article provides brief explanations of equivalency determination and expenditure responsibility in order to help grantmakers decide between the two when making an international grant.
LegalEASE: Notes from the Experts
Our legal team covers compliance and legal issues relevant to the grantmaking world.
- Nonprofit v. Charity
- The Difference between Public Charities and Private Foundations
- A Brief Introduction to Public Charity Classifications
- An Introduction to Public Support Tests
- An Introduction to Supporting Organizations
- Government Entities
- 501(c)(3) Churches and Religious Organizations
- 501(c)(3) Schools
- Hospitals and Medical Research Organizations
- Characterizing Income of 501(c)(3) Public Charities
- Tipping from Public Charity to Private Foundation Status
Resources for Your Grantees
- Grantee Toolkit (PDF)
Provide your grantees with this toolkit outlining how to access tech donations, education, and creative content from TechSoup to help them better deliver on their missions.